[Libreoffice-qa] What are "Preferences" when moving from 3.x to 4.x?

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 00:22:26 PST 2013

On 02/04/2013 03:30 PM, Pedro wrote:
> Stephan Bergmann-2 wrote
>> Can you be more specific about extensions not being migrated?  In
>> general, they should be.
>
> I installed a Portuguese dictionary for All users under 3.6
> It doesn't show up on the Extension Manager list.

Ah, extensions installed for all users are never actively migrated
across LO upgrades.  (Technically, an extension installed for all users
manifests itself as data added to the share/uno_packages/ directory in a
LO installation.  So if you upgrade LO versions by installing the new
version into the same place as the old one, it will carry any extensions
installed for all users across.  If like on Windows however the default
installation path for LO 3.6 is something like C:\Program
Files\LibreOffice 3.6 while that for LO 4.0 is C:\Program
Files\LibreOffcie 4.0, the extensions installed for all users will
effectively get lost.  This would imply that those extensions also
effectively got lost when upgrading from, say, LO 3.5 to LO 3.6 on
Windows; adding András on cc about that.)

If you want any changes here (and note that behavior is highly dependent
on installation specifics, which in turn are highly platform-specifc --
like what shall happen if an admin on Mac dragged a 3.6 LibreOffice.app
to /Applications/foo and now drags a 4.0 Libreoffice.app to
/Applications/bar?), I guess it's best to file feature requests.

Stephan