[Libreoffice-qa] Template Manager - performance issues, and no new folder create function when saving as template ?

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:28:49 PST 2013

Hi all,

I was looking through the new (and IMHO visually much improved) Template
Manager again and have come across what appears to be a performance hit
and a bug, or at the very least, a non-implemented feature.

My build uses the extra templates provided by Kami's OxygenOffice
extension, so I get to see quite a few extra choices in the Template
Manager other than the rather underwhelming selection of presentation
templates provided by default.

The first thing that I noticed is that when you call up the Template
Manager, e.g. via the File > Template menu entry, it takes a fairly long
time to display the Template Manager dialog, as in more than a minute -
this performance hit worries me - the more so because every time you
want to save any newly created document as a template, you have to wait
the same amount of time for the dialog to display, which is pretty
infuriating. The old template manager did not show this lag and was
comparably much faster on the same hardware, so for me, this is a fairly
important regression.

The second thing is that when you want to save a newly created document
as a template, the Template Manager dialog is displayed, but I can see
no way of creating a new folder to be able to store the template in it,
you are forced to use an existing folder or folders. Is this by design,
or is the function just not yet visible in the Template Manager dialog ?

As this is about to go live with the future release of 4.0, it would be
awkward to have yet another performance hit / reduction in functionality
compared to the existing tool.

Thoughts, comments, appreciated.

Alex