[Libreoffice-qa] Bug 59481 - FILEOPEN: Linux rpm: Native MySQL-connector aoo-my-sdbc-1.1.0 didn't work any more with LO 4.0

Alex Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 06:33:55 PST 2013

On 01/19/2013 01:27 PM, Dan Lewis wrote:

Hi all,
>      OK, I understand. Perhaps this points to a possible bug in the
> Extension Manager itself. The AOO version of this connector seems to
> install, but it fails to enable the connector. I have clicked the
> connector, and two buttons appear: Enable and Delete. When I click the
> Enable button, I get the error message.
>      Seems to me that installing an extension should also enable it.
> Then if someone wants to disable an extension, he can open the Extension
> Manager to do this. This might be a bug, or is it a feature request?

IMHO it is a bug because it was decided at one stage that compatibility
should be maintained with the Oracle mysql connector precisely because
it wasn't going to be, or couldn't be (for whatever reasons) integrated
into the LO default build.

However, it was later decide that 4.0 would allow for ABI breakage. This
meant that the devs recognized that some extensions would probably break
and that it would be OK. They also stated that it would be up to
extension providers to correct their extensions so that they would work
with the new version of LO.

Now of course, if one takes that attitude, it would be up to the AOO guy
providing the Oracle AOO connector, already outside of the official AOO
project, to align his extension code so that it worked with LO - yeah,
right, like that is really going to happen...it might, if similar
changes get pushed into the AOO code that also cause ABI breakage, thus
forcing the AOO connector provider to update the code. At the moment,
though, unlikely.

Alternatively, it is up to the Linux distribs to provide testing
versions of the connector that are ABI compatible with LO. This simply
doesn't happen at the moment, again, for whatever reason. It will only
happen when a distrib upgrades the version of LO it provides, and only
then if it remembers to upgrade all the added-on bits at the same time.

However, since for Mac OSX and Windows, there is no federating distrib
manager, these 2 OS groups are on their own, in other words, stuffed.

Alex