[Libreoffice-qa] Reported issues show the tendency to be more user questions ? BSA related ?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Jul 2 08:19:19 PDT 2013

Le 2013-07-01 03:36, Cor Nouws a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Last weeks/months I am responding to more and more issues that IMNSHO
> should be handled as user questions *first*.
>
> Did I ever say that IMO reporting bugs is to easy? Yes I did. More then
> once.
>
> Is this just me??
> Is the process from our French friends - where reports from BSA go
> trough an email process before being added to BugZilla (that's what I
> understood from it anyway) - a way to prevent that?
>
> Cheers,
> Cor

I have read all of the comments on this thread so far and here is what I
have observed from the user/discuss lists and from using the BSA.

* we should emphasize the fact that before entering a bug, the user
should have discussed the problem either on the user or discuss mailing
lists (one or the other)

* then, if the people involved in the discussion of the suspected bug
confirm there is a problem, then, submit it as a bug. There are enough
members and power-users on both the users and discuss lists who can help
establish whether the problem is indeed a bug. In a sense, this is our
"first-line" bug detection/filtering step. This step also allows the
members or power-users to follow-up with a "confirmation" of the bug (we
should also promote this with the members and power-users as this is a
great way to help with contribution).

As far as reporting bugs being too easy, IMO, no it is not too easy. A
user has to actually look actively through our "Get Involved" section to
find her/his way to the BSA. Then, that user has to register with
Bugzilla. Then the process of filling out the ticket and also of looking
for any other instances of the bug is still a chore for the user. I
think that any user going to this length at filling out a bug shows
determination and commitment to helping us out.

If there are bugs that get through that are more of support in nature,
then this information can easily be put in at the sorting or
confirmation stage. I would hope that we be more patient with our users
when they may make an error in submitting bugs and we should be
encouraging them to submit more bugs only after checking with the groups
of people on the users and discuss list. I think most users will
understand our suggestions on better bug reporting.

The more we teach people on better bug reporting, the more informed they
become and then they can more easily contribute to efficient bug reporting.

We may even convince some of them to join the QA and actively help out.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré