[Libreoffice-qa] Send Feedback...and BSA ideas

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Jul 15 09:47:13 PDT 2013

Hi Robinson,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:18:07PM -0400, Robinson Tryon wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen
> I'd like to keep as much of the bug lifecycle in FDO. The more that
> happens on the Ask site, the more that gets lots and Isn't copied-over
> to a bug report. I've had users on the Ask site continue to ask about
> the progress of a Question that has a clear "bug has been filed here"
> link. The same thing happens with people me-too'ing a Question/bug
> instead of going to FDO and posting their comments there.

In a perfect world all bugs are on fdo and all support stuff/tips are on ask
only. In the real world not everyone will be on both platforms: Most devs are
not on ask, many users will not understand bugzilla on their first report.
Thus, no matter what you will do, you will have duplication there. Of course,
we are aiming for users to get as close as possible to the devs -- thus on
bugzilla. Still that cant be learned by telling them "you should have filed the
bug on that system which you dont understand". Instead let them use a system
they feel they understand because its text only (askbot) and if they have
provided all the info that is needed, create the bug on fdo for them and link
to it.  This will show the user (and others walking by) how to file a bug
properly with a real world example.

So: Give the people a smooth migration path towards bugzilla and allow them to
test the waters on askbot, instead of a migration scenario that requires a
sleep all-in learning curve, which will make a lot of them just turn away.

Best,

Bjoern