[Libreoffice-qa] [libreoffice-l10n] [ANN] LibreOffice 4.1.0 RC4 test builds available for smoketesting

Alex Waite alexqw85 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 03:54:39 PDT 2013

I just hopped on here to provide my 2 cents.

First of all, Mateusz, I don't know if you intend to come across
aggressively, but your writing tone is /very/ harsh and makes it
difficult for readers to not feel attacked.

> The only thing I imply is that new major release is enhanced by
> useless formats. These files are dead, they come from dead software
> and in bugzilla system you won't find even one bugreport relevant to!
> Linux is alive platform and encrypted ODF files are in common usage.
> It would be great if elementary functionality just works instead of
> adding features no one needed.

Going off the assumption that the tone is just a misunderstanding, and
that you're actually productively discussing these points, I'd like to
go on record that adding support to these formats is a *huge* bonus for
me. I have clients who have data locked up in these formats, and this
feature has liberated that data. In 2013, it's a bit difficult to find a
copy of Mac OS 7 to run the programs needed to open these files (and
then export to what other ancient format that has modern-ish support?)
LibreOffice supporting these formats solves *all* of that for me.

> You fix it in 15 minutes? Great! So now many people can just wait next
> half of year to 4.2 release. Thanks a lot for attention.

Here's another tone issue. The man just fixed a bug for you, and you
come across as berating him. First of all, thank him. Secondly, there
are minor releases (4.1.1) that will be released in less than half a
year. Thirdly, you can always run daily builds of you're so inclined.

I appreciate you engaging with people and taking the time to post to the
mailing list. You obviously have a lot of energy and passion for this
software, which is something I always like to see.

I strongly encourage you to engage and help out with the LibreOffice;
putting that energy to good use.

I look forward to seeing your forthcoming contributions!

---Alex