[Libreoffice-qa] about moztrap attachment missing :(

Yifan Jiang yfjiang at suse.com
Wed Mar 27 01:34:06 PDT 2013

Hi Thomas,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 07:00:24PM +0100, Thomas Hackert wrote:
> > > What does "Version 0" mean? Is this the same as "4.0" from LO?
> >
> > Version 0 is a special version we defined in Moztrap as a *base*
> > version for every other versions. Other versions should be consistent
> > with the target LO version that we are gonna test.
>
> Hm ... Does this "base version" relate to the version of the test case?
>
> Say: If I write a new test case e.g. for Base (no pun intended ... ;) ),
> then this would be version 0 (or base version) of this test?

Yes it is.

> And other versions would be an enhancement to this test? Or a
> translation? Or ...  ?

Other versions of test cases could be a direct copy to the 'version 0'
test case or an enhancement. As you may already notice, currently the
translation of a test case is embedded inside the test case
instructions, of course they may be different in different versions
for a same test case. Except for that we do not leverage versions
specifically here.

> > When we create a test run for testing, we have to specify a VERSION,
> > which means exactly only the cases in that VERSION will be shown in
> > the target test run.
>
> O.K. I think (after logging in Moztrap and clicking through the different
> menus ... ;) ), I am understanding it now (I hope ... ;) ):
>
> 1. You write the test, which is not LO version specific.
> 2. Moztrap will assign version 0 to it.

Yes.

> 3. After saving the test and clicking on "Editing $Name of the test" you
> can assign it as an new test (does this the "+1 (add this version)"
> mean?) or to any existing test case (now only 3.6 and 4.0 are available
> in the menu).
>
> Am I right? If not, please correct me ... ;)

You are right and the situation can be more than that. Say we have
three "Versions" as 0, 3.5, 4.0:

    1. When creating a new test case:

        - Select "0" in the Version field

        - Check on "And Later Versions" box besides "Version" field

            => this case will be saved for EVERY VERSIONs that LATER
            than 0, which are 3.5 and 4.0 here.

            This is why 0 is a proper "base version", that Moztrap is
            smart to internally identify different versions
            $everything.

    2. And as you said, in the the situation that the box above
       is not checked when adding a case, there's still a chance to add
       the case into other versions one by one by clicking the "+x
       (add this version)" button.

> > All the above reveals the VERSION importance when we managing test
> > cases. Moztrap has a solution for how to correctly manage versions. I
> > am not gonna be verbose here,
>
> Not ;? I think, you are verbose (but in a positive way) ... ;)

I really hope I could read more Shakespeare to write more elegantly ^^

> > but the reason we want to at least
> > update everything generic in "Version 0" is we want a consistent case
> > version management. As a result:
> >
> >     - we have a community "agreement" that each case's Version 0 is
> >       the latest edited version of the test case
>
> Why do you put "agreement" in quotation marks? Is it not an official
> agreement?

Well, I simply felt the word agreement is somewhat strong...  :)

> >     - every new version is "branched" from Version 0, so that they can
> >       include the latest update of the test cases
>
> But how do you "branch" it?

The "branch" in practice is when we creating a new VERSION, "Copy
environments and cases from optional" field would do the trick.

> > This is the way how we are gonna manage versions in a cooperative
> > way. More details can be found in the headache documents above :)
>
> Just out of curiosity: When I start translating a test, would it keep
> the version number 0 or would it become version 1 then?

It's version 0 by default as mentioned. See the top right version
field if you wanna confirm when translating:
> > Just in case, in practice, the 'version' operation of a test case can
> > be found on the right top corner when you edit a case like:
> >
> >     http://manual-test.libreoffice.org/manage/caseversion/419/

> > Leave other uninteresting cases for other people who may be interested
> > in them. That is to say, other people can see which cases have been
> > executed by you, and vice versa :)
>
> Would this be NL specific or would I see all testers?

What does it mean "NL speific"? All results are equally sharable and
people do not special permission to see results.

Best wishes,
Yifan

--
  Yifan Jiang