[Libreoffice-qa] Cleaning up QA Nabble and Archive folders from Spam?

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Sun May 12 11:25:22 PDT 2013

Florian Effenberger wrote:
> IMHO, the LibreOffice lists at FreeDesktop are configured in a wrong
> way, because they allow everyone to post. I'd never ever do so on
> the TDF infrastructure, it's against any good mail practice I know
> of, but the feedback I got when noting that was that "developers
> want it that way". Well... I don't know why, but it seems I have to
> accept that, and we need to live with spam then. :-(

Hi Florian, all,

I don't think there is a universally correct answer to the implied
question posed here, but a lot of personal preference.

FWIW, the dev list and other lists that needed closer interaction with
the developers back in the day were setup to be 'default-open' -
i.e. people could simply post their question there, or being Cc-ed on
mails and answer without being moderated. This has served the
developer community well over the years, ridding us of one more
barrier to entry.

Admittedly it puts some burden on moderators and permits the
occasional spam message to slip through - I believe though that we
have that well under control on the dev list.

Pending moderator approval on this list, I can happily clone the dev
list setup for this list.

All the best,

-- Thorsten