[Libreoffice-qa] Where should users report bugs?

Rob Snelders rob at ertai.nl
Tue Nov 5 07:38:47 PST 2013

Hi,

On 05-11-13 15:49, Pedro wrote:
> Hi Qubit
>
> My opinion:  Users should report bugs in a user friendly page that doesn't
> require registration.
>
> One example: The Mozilla feedback page
> https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback

That's not the bugtool for mozilla. This is the bugzilla bugtool:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Firefox

I had a quick look at it, and it just puts the data people answer in a
database and they have to be processed manually (if at all). So that
means a lot more work. And I don't know who is going to do it.

Ideally it is a good situation but I don't see the workforce to do that.

Another issue I can see (don't know how they address it, as I see no
spam there) is the spam. At the moment that is the reason why we want a
login for the Fench BSA for example.

> No need to reinvent the wheel.

Yes. Maybe it is a good thing to use for our feedback-page. I see the
project has matured a lot this year. And maybe it is usable for us now.
Somebody should look at it. But my point stands still like last year, we
don't want to copy the problems they report manually to our bugzilla.

> If BSA and Bugzilla are the only options then only persistent geeks will
> report bugs. The upside is that persistent geeks make better bug reports.

I think at the moment we do need good bugreports. As that lessens our
workload. We can't keep up with the bugs as it stands. So my goal at the
moment is to lessen our workload without scaring users more than we do.

> Finally:
> For Windows users (and they are probably the majority) all bugs have to be
> submitted to TDF/LO. I think that the company that produces the Windows
> distro is not going to fix any bugs in LO, let alone push bugs upstream :)

For them not being able to file a bug against an old version is no
problem. As they can easily update. In linux we don't want to force
people to go outside their repositories.

The size of the Linux-users is nothing we should lose however, so if
there is a solution to this then I'm for it.