[Libreoffice-qa] Where should users report bugs?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 11:35:32 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Thomas Hackert <thackert at nexgo.de> wrote:
>>> => What bugs should be reported to our LibreOffice bugtracker?
>>>
>>> => What bugs should be reported to distros?
>
> I would say only bugs, that are in our version of LO should go to
> our bugtracker, but the ones from the distros to their adequate
> bugtracker ... ;)

I think that there's general agreement on that front, although some
people have expressed concern at the time that it might take a bug to
"bubble up" from a distro's bugtracker and reach us. Perhaps we should

1) Figure out how many non-distro-specific bugs are reported downstream

2) Figure out how much longer it takes for them to reach our devs than
bugs reported in FDO

> Maybe we could close those bugs with a comment á
> la "This bug is only related to $version of $distro. @reporter:
> Would you be so kind to report it again at $link?“ or the like ...
> ;)

Personally, I'd like to cultivate a relationship with the maintainers
of LibreOffice in each distro and be able to "give" them these bugs.
Before we close the bug in FDO, I'd like to assign it to that
maintainer so that they can open a corresponding bug in the distro
bugtracker.

Do we have a 'downstream' mailing list for distros? It might be handy
to have something like that... :-)

>> We currently have a link in the LibreOffice menus "Help -> Send
>> Feedback" that currently points at the BSA and will point at the
>> more generalized Feedback page soon.
>
> What does "soon" mean? The next weeks, months ... ;?

Hopefully some time this week. I just need to find the time to hack on it :-)

>> If we want distros to receive some/all bugs filed against
>> distro-provided builds of LibreOffice, then we should think about
>> the best way to patch-out that menu option so that the program
>> will send users to the right BTS.
>
> Would it not be better, when each distro changes this to their own
> BTS?

Oh, certainly. I don't have any recent distro builds of LibreOffice to
determine if they change the URL -- can you confirm this one way or
the other?

> I am not sure, if there is already a feature request in one of
> the different BTSes though ... :(

That's a good point re: Feature requests. Hopefully those would also
"bubble up" to us over time...

--R