[Libreoffice-qa] Suggestion for the use of pre-written responses

Jay Philips philipz85 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 05:35:52 PDT 2014

Hi All,

Over the months of doing triaging, i've found that the best means of
communicating with bug reporters is to have a set of pre-written
requesting a sample document, and asking for clear steps. These
reporter, but do come in handy at other times as well, like requesting
they reset their profile or send in a screencast. These responses have a
simple and short format, similar to the below.

------------------

Hello [user's name],

Thank you for submitting the bug. I can confirm that the bug is
available in 4.2.7, 4.3.2 and master on Linux.

------------------

The primary message that i wanted to get across to the bug reporter is
that we are welcoming and appreciate the effort they made in reporting
the bug, as reporting a bug on BSA for the first time is a very length
procedure. Then a few days ago, I got CCed on the comment from bug 76825
(comment 7) from an unhappy bug reporter whose bug was simply set as a
duplicate without a response:

------------------

don't ever bother dropping someone a mail or anything ... (like hi,
thanks, we're already on it! - don't ever bother, really)
cause we are machines or what ... or cogs in a big machine .)
just go the beurocratic way, drop that person some cc :)

it took me 15 minutes to report this bug ...
i took it seriously, and i meant it ...
but i'm sure i'll never do that again

So i'd like to propose the creation a wiki page of pre-written responses
that we can all use. I have created the wiki page at <
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugTriage/Pre-Written_Responses >
and will be adding entries to it, though i have very little knowledge of
how best to format the page :D. Please add in your own collection of

Regards,
Jay Philips