[Libreoffice-qa] QA Meeting Minutes - 2014-12-03

Tommy barta at quipo.it
Mon Dec 8 12:43:37 PST 2014

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 13:38:58 +0100, Eike Rathke <erack at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Saturday, 2014-12-06 21:18:05 -0500, Robinson Tryon wrote:
>
>> * If a bug is fixed on the Master branch (or in Fresh), but is still
>> present on Fresh/Still, it can be helpful to tag the bug and bibisect
>> it, in addition to resolving it as WFM. I'll send out a separate email
>> to the QA list with some advice from the devs.
>
> IMHO a bug should not be resolved as WFM then, it is still a bug in the
> release reported. If it is fixed in master then even better, hopefully
> it was one commit that can be cherry-picked, so a bibisect indeed would
> be welcomed.
>
>   Eike

I respectfully disagree with you Eike.
we have to mark it FIXED WFM anyway as soon as it gets fixed in master.
we don't have to wait for backport before declaring it fixed...

if we don't mark it as FIXED WFM how do we distinguish a NEW bug without a
fix from a NEW bug which is FIXED in master but not yet present in the
stable branch?

I think the scenario Robinson depicted is logical.

1- QA finds that a NEW bug in stable branch is somehow fixed in master so
it marks it as WFM

2- a bibisect attempt is done to identify the committ that fixed it

3- once the bibisect is done, a backportRequest is added to whiteboard and
devs are contacted

4- devs decide wheter to backport or not the fix, if it's technically
feasible or not

5- if backport is possible the fix goes into the stable branch and we may
set status CLOSED

6- if backport is not possible we put whiteboard "backportDenied" and wait
till the release of the first .0 release of the master branch before
declaring it closed

anyway, considering the fast release cycle of LibO, the waiting time
needed before master turns into a .0 release is acceptable for most of our
users...

I have some pet bugs that I know were fixed in summer in the 4.4 master
but not backported into 4.3.x and I'm waiting patiently without any drama
for february 2015 when the 4.4.0 final release will come out.

please guys, let's all remind the OOo times when people had to wait years
before seeing patches into a final release...

LibO is doing a better job with this