[Libreoffice-qa] Internal Updater

Jonathan Aquilina eagles051387 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 00:28:03 PDT 2014

Khargaroth you coudl actually do one better. have it when download is
clicked have it automatically poll the nearest mirror to you and download
the installer from within LO and have it auto run and update ones system.
not sure though how much work that would be though. We would eliminate the
need to load a browser and alot of extra steps currently involved.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 7:50 PM, khagaroth <khagaroth at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't find this that useful. Unless the internal updater starts using
> differential updates (which would be great), I think it's better to just
> open the download site in a browser.
>

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Joel Madero <jmadero.dev at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I know we've discussed this already a few times - both within ESC and
>> within the QA call but I wanted to get a better sense of what is needed
>> to move forward with getting it fixed. FWIW I've closed 3 bugs this at
>> least tangentially related to the subject.
>>
>> So - from what I understand the entire updater is just broken, when you
>> get a notification that there is a new version you click it and it just
>> takes you to the website where additional clicks are needed to download,
>> and then more to install.
>>
>> QA has discussed this a few times and generally I think we've come up
>> with a roadmap of what would be ideal but I know that it will require
>> others to implement so I'm not trying to "push" this onto any developer
>> just curious how (if at all) we can get it fixed.
>>
>> Phase I:
>> Fix what is already there - currently you can go to Help -> Check for
>> Updates and there is a "Install" button that is always inactive. How
>> much work would it take to at least fix that? If this will never get
>> fixed (or be a long time) I think we should remove the button as it just
>> reminds users about a broken feature that has been broken for a long
>> time already.
>>
>> FWIW here I think we need to be clearer about what it means to "check
>> for update" because it's based on what branch you are on
>>

>> Phase II:
>> Add new options to allow a user to select the branch they want
>> (fresh/stable/pre-release) and then another option to either "download
>> only" or "download and install" which would automatically either
>> download to a folder or download and install upon release.
>>
>> I think Phase II would be an amazing addition that would be kind of one
>> of those big things we could run some PR about during a major release.
>>

>> Like I said - not pushing this on anyone, just curious where we stand as
>> I see updater related bug reports and enhancement requests and QA has
>> discussed it quite a few times as something that we feel need some
>> love/attention.
>>

>> Best Regards,
>> Joel

Jonathan Aquilina