[Libreoffice-qa] Extensions with Whiteboard status

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 03:05:00 PDT 2014

On 16/06/14 22:26, Joel Madero wrote:

> We have just a few extensions that somehow got special treatment to have
> whiteboard status (rt, rtf_filter, pdf). I'm not sure why these got
> special priv. over other (probably more relevant) extensions such as
> docx, doc, or even odt, ods, etc . . .

ah now i see what you meant with "extensions" in the other mail...

rtf_filter exists because Miklos re-wrote the RTF import and export
filters and wanted to quickly find the relevant bugs.

> Suggestion:
> New whiteboard status "extension:EXTENSION" so we could have
> "extension:pdf" or "extension:odt" or "extension:docx". This way we can
> track all bugs relating to any particular extension vs. just the priv.
> few that have gotten special treatment.

for ODF files it makes no sense to use "extension:odt" "extension:odp"
etc. since a lot of the filter code is shared between all applications,
so "odf" is much better keyword.

it would perhaps make sense for binary MSO files since there the only
shared code is the drawing object import/export; also there are multiple
terms in use currently e.g. WW8 or DOC mean the same thing so perhaps it
would be good to standardize on one.  WW8 has the advantage that it's
not a prefix of DOCX.

not sure what the situation is with the OOXML formats.

> P.S. CC'ed MStahl because I was told he may have some opinion here ;) If
> not - feel free to disregard :-D

oh you did?  well i'll probably see that eventually when i look at my
general inbox some time later this week  :)