[Libreoffice-qa] Redmine Website QA Suggestions

Harald Köster harald.koester at mail.de
Wed May 7 08:20:26 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Am 06.05.2014 01:38, schrieb Bjoern Michaelsen:
> On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 02:16:15PM -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
>> So the first question is for the default download page - are we
>> generally agreed that "stable" should be the default?
>
> Im disagreeing there. The only reason "stable" is more settled than "fresh" is
> that we have so many people downloading "fresh" and allowing us to solve these
> issues. As such, making "stable" the default would only result in lowering the
> quality of "stable", while ~nobody runs "fresh" and there is no option for
> those seeking a more conservative alternative to the default download. This is
> a lose-lose change.

I think the problem is not the default download page. The problem is how
users are guided to the version which suits to them and at the same time
how we can benefit mostly from problems which occure at the users.

I think WE and a lot of users know the difference between "fresh" and
"stable". But there are also a lot of users who do not know the
difference or at least are irritated to find two different versions.
Hence to my opinion a minimum of explanation is needed on the download
pages. This can be done by a recommendation.

E.g. for "Fresh":

"Recommended for users who are happy with new features or willing to
give us feedback and report problems. If you just like to get a reliable
software, please use our stable version. More information needed? See
Release Notes!"

And for "Stable":

"In principle recommended for all user. If you are happy with new
features or willing to give us feedback, please try our fresh version.
More information needed? See Release Notes!"

Two additional comments to the release notes:
(1) 'Private power users' were recommended to use the fresh version. I'm
not happy with this because I also can imagine power users who do not
like always run into problems with a more unstable fresh version. Hence
a more reliable version may also suit to this kind of users. My
proposal: Delete the 'private power user' from the release notes.
(2) In the notes the term "conservative requirements" is used. For me
the word 'conservative' is quite abstract. What a user expects is a
software which has a better reliability and stability. My proposal: Use
quality terms like reliability, stability, usability and/or performance
in this context.

Best
Harald

--