[Libreoffice-qa] Bibisect tagging - suggestion for QA IRC meeting discussion

Joel Madero jmadero.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:05:30 PDT 2015

Hi All,

After having conversations with Cloph and shm_get I came up with the
following list of bugs that should *have something related to bibisect*.
What this means is that one of these tags should exist:

_*Whiteboard*_
1) bibisectRequest;
2) bibisected;
3) notBibisectable (this means it falls in the appropriate range but for
some reason it was not bibisectable...usually a series of bad commits
that make the range useless);
4) preBibisect (in which case the version field should be updated to
reflect this - *applies to bugs depending on versions listed below*).

_*Keyword*_
bisected - this applies *only* when the _exact_ commit is determined -
this isn't done through the normal bibisect method, it requires extra
steps. After doing this IMHO we should still include "bibisected" in the
whiteboard status.

*_Versions Covered:_
*Linux - any bug after 3.5beta0 that is a regression (including master);
Windows - any bug 4.3 - master (inclusive);
Mac - 4.1 - 5.0 (inclusive - note there is a gap in the 4.3 series....if
you come across one of these the correct tag is "notBibisectable"
because of the gap)

_*Useful Links
*_These links are bugs that I believe match the above criteria for each
platform - so in theory *each of these bugs should have some tag
pertaining to bibisect

**Linux: *http://tinyurl.com/linuxBibisect*
**Windows: *http://tinyurl.com/windowsBibisect
*Mac: *http://tinyurl.com/macBibisect

_*Regression Tagging
*_Moving forward it's really important that we continue to improve
tagging regressions (we have indeed gotten a lot better!). So I've found
a couple things to help:
1) Have 3.3 installed and at least check current fresh and 3.3 (if it's
in 3.3, we know not a regression, can update version)
2) Ask the user to test their own bug - link to the page with old
releases
(http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/) - say
it helps a lot and it _could_ potentially help get the bug fixed faster;
3) Quickly explain what version field means (oldest version not latest
version)

There are several hundred bugs available - and this is an under-estimate
as they only include bugs that are tagged as "regression" - if I had to
guess we have _at minimum_ twice as many bugs that could use a bibisect.
Correct tagging is crucial moving forward :-D

Best,
Joel