[Libreoffice-qa] Bugzila 4.3.x versions cleanup

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 1 10:16:04 PST 2015

Hi Joel,

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Joel Madero <jmadero.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/01/2015 02:59 AM, Pedro wrote:
>> Hi Joel
>>

>> jmadero wrote
>>> Bibisect is really only at this point useful for Linux because the
>>> documentation on OSX and Windows is still below par. That's at least my
>>> understanding - have you tried to bibisect on other platforms?
>> No, I never tried bibisect on Windows. But Sophie volunteered to give me a
>> hand if I decided to try so I assume it is possible.
>>
>> Again, what would be the advantage to have the user install 4.0.0 Beta1,
>> Beta2, RC1, etc? Reducing the search range to a 0.0.1 isn't good enough?
>> Does the full footwork have to be on the QA side?
> The benefit is narrowing it down by hundreds of commits....have you ever
> looked at how many commits are between two alphas? Or between two point
> releases? If we're sitting here screaming and yelling about regressions,
> the more we narrow down the more likely regressions will be dealt with.
>
> Example (commits between...):
> 5.0.0.1 beta1 and 5.0.0.5 release: 357

you mixed nomenclature here it seems.
$ git log --oneline libreoffice-5.0.0.0.beta1..libreoffice-5.0.0.5 |wc -l
815

so 815 commits between 5.0.0 beta1 and 5.0.0 final

357 is the commit count between first RC and final
$ git log --oneline libreoffice-5.0.0.0.beta1..libreoffice-5.0.0.5 |wc -l
815

x.y.z.0… → LibreOfficeDev (alpha and beta),
x.y.z.1… → first RC, in release mode (LibreOffice)

> 5.0.0.3 and 5.0.0.4 beta2: 42

between rc3 and rc4

As long as the merge-to-one-version indicates what version was set
prior to the unification, I  don't see the information loss, but it
should be a standardized comment, so that you could still use queries
for those versions.

ciao
Christian