[Libreoffice-qa] Bugzila 4.3.x versions cleanup

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:19:46 PST 2015

jmadero wrote
> On 12/01/2015 09:03 AM, Sophie wrote:
>> What he was trying to find imho is a compromise between what is needed
>> for QA and for users. Of course, the more granularity the better, but I
>> think also that a long list of version is confusing.

I think the problem here is that a compromise is not possible.

It is absurd that the version list has 115 items !!!

LibreOffice_versions.ods
<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4168006/LibreOffice_versions.ods>

LibreOffice/TDF absolutely needs a user friendly Bug Submission Assistant
where users can report bugs they found in the stable releases of the live
branches (currently 4.4, 5.0 and 5.1). This would reduce the list to less
than 15 options...

The Bugzilla site has to be completely separate from this. Which user has
the patience (and knowledge) to register to a user unfriendly site with 115
options for a single variable, where several he doesn't even understand
their meaning?
Bugzilla is for QA and advanced users. There you can have all versions (I
would still exclude alphas, betas and rcs except for the latest version in
each live branch and exclude All versions)

jmadero wrote
> I just wonder in terms of # of versions - how many are we talking about?
> 3-5 versions removed 2-3 months earlier? Given there are....a lot of
> versions....I'm just not sure if we'll see real gains from the proposal
> and there is a real possibility for loss.

Changing the period by months would not make a significant change...

However removing all alphas, betas and rcs except for the latest version in
each live branch and exclude All versions would reduce the list by nearly
one third (35/115). I think it's pretty impressive.

Again how many bugs are reported for the alpha, beta and rc stage for a
previous branch/version which are specific to that stage? How many are we
talking about?

I think need to improve the experience both for QA and (especially) for
users reporting bugs.

Regards,
Pedro