[Libreoffice-qa] bugzilla versions cleanup proposals

Tommy barta at quipo.it
Sun Jul 26 22:31:02 PDT 2015

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 18:49:43 +0200, Joel Madero <jmadero.dev at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 07/26/2015 07:02 AM, Tommy wrote:

>> 1 - remove the "all versions" items
>> -------------------------------------
>> actually we have 7 of those items for 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 4.0, 4.1 and
>> 4.2 and there's no "4.3 all versions"
> Disagree here - we did discuss this at length and there is a reason why
> we have it. For instance Red Hat is still running on an old version of
> LibreOffice and we want to give the option to report against those
> version....I'm sure there are minutes and/or email threads discussing
> this at length.

I still do not understand what's the purpose of having a generic "3.4 all
versions" while you already have a specific 3.4.0, 3.4.1, 3.4.2... 3.4.7
item.

people still using an old version will report bugs about their specific
version (i.e. 3.4.5) not that generic 3.4 all...

the cleanup will remove just the "3.4 all versions" not the single .0, .1,
.2, etc items which will be still available

what about the Red Had version you talk about? I suppose it has a specific
versionnumber not a generic "all version" number

>> -------------------------------------
>> 2- END-OF-LIFE version collapse from 6 to 3 months
>> -------------------------------------
>> in order to shorten the list it was decided that all the alphas, betas
>> and RCs of an END-OF-LIFE branch should be hidden after 6 months from
>> the EOL date, leaving just the final releases visible.
>>
>> I think the 6 months period is unnecessary too long and can be safely
>> reduced to 3.
>> so I think that it will be very unlikely at the end of 2015 to see
>> people submitting new bugs about the alphas, betas and RCs of the
>> 4.3.x branch.

are you still seeing people submitting bugs about this 4.3.x non final
releases?

I think is very unlikely that there's people still using an alpha, beta or
any of the RC1's of the 4.3.x branch by the end of august 2015

remember that 4.3.0 alphas and betas were releases in april-june 2014
which is more than 1 year ago.
there's really no chance people is still testing those ones.

the last 2 non final releases were:
4.3.6 RC1 --> january 2015
4.3.7 RC1 --> april 2015

since those are very late phase stable branch releases, only few verified
fixes were integrated into them and in the past I've seen only few bugs
introduced in the .6 or .7 releases...

so it's again unlikely to see a new submitted bug about 4.3.6 RC1 or 4.3.7
RC1 months after their release

> Again disagree - there's no reason really outside of slight aesthetics
> to do this....lots of people are running older versions and because
> "version" is supposed to be oldest version...it makes sense to leave
> these available.

the final releases will be still available after the cleanup.
just the alpha, beta and RC1 will be removed

the final one will be still available like it's for older branches.

> Should be discussed at QA IRC Meeting but my "vote" goes to no on both.
>
> Best,
> Joel

sure, it has to be discussed and voted like everything here.

we can still argue which is the right time period...
IMHO 6 months is too much and 3 months would be appropriate.
a compromise would be 4 months

cheers, Tommy