[Libreoffice-qa] Spell Check on Windows 7

Joel Madero jmadero.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 15:50:25 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Pedro <pedlino at gmail.com> wrote:

> jmadero wrote
> > We can't "make" anything happen. They are volunteers (just like you) -
> > no one dictates how other people work.
> >
> > It *might* be a reasonable tender request.
> >
> > @Pedro - if you want you can submit a grant proposal that we invest in
> > developing this option. The more information you have the better (such
> > as price to implement, how many bugs were fixed just by deleting the
> > profile, etc....). Then submit the proposal to treasurer account.
>
> That is simply not true. Many (most?) developers are paid by their
> companies
> to work on LibreOffice (Red Hat, Ubuntu, Collabora, etc). The myth that
> everyone is a volunteer and that Open Source is developed for free is
> nothing more than a myth.

True - but we don't have power over them either ;) So what difference does
it make to me...in my eyes they are all volunteers (or at least not under
TDF control)

> I assume that current developers don't work on these features because they
> don't find it interesting or that no company instructs them to work on it.

Probably

> If TDF is convinced that this is important then they can do the call for
> tender themselves (like they did for LibreOffice Viewer for Android)

TDF builds an eco system where doers can do - Android was somewhat unique.
The other tenders that we've done all have had backers that thought the
issue was *particularly* important and thus put in the time and energy
(which is a lot) to tender it.

> Anyway you are a member of the Board of Directors... Aren't you convinced
> that this is important?

Sure - but not more important than the other 1000 things on my plate right
now. I don't have the time to do yet another tender, build the support,
find the money, etc... etc... The new grant program is meant to encourage
our members (who are also "doers" to be more involved with the financing
projects and see what a commitment it is to execute something to the end.
There's only so much we (as the group of directors, deputies, and staff)
can handle...and, I'm stretched way too thin to take on yet another project.

Best,
Joel

--
*Joel Madero*