[Libreoffice-qa] Reminder: QA Meeting on Wednesday

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 21:26:57 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Pedro <pedlino at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is impossible for me to join at the 13:00

Ah, that's too bad!

>  but I would like to leave two
> questions:
>
> Isn't 16% of Regressions something that TDF should be worried about?
>
> (713 out of 4419 open bugs, according to
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Libreoffice-qa-Minutes-of-ESC-call-2015-11-19-tp4166818.html)

I definitely would like to see that percentage drop, just as I'd like
to see our outstanding bug pool drop to at least half. As Bubli
pointed out last week, there is a certain amount of interpretation to
how we categorize and prioritize a "data loss bug":
"Loss of some 10k row sheet full of 2 years of scientific work data is
in slightly different category than, dunno, loss of text highlighting
in an article," so perhaps some of our bugs might need re-evaluation,
and/or we might need to consider regressions in a slightly different
light?

> How can QA (Quality Assurance) and TDF motivate the Devs to worry about the
> consistency of the program?

I think we're pretty consistent on providing QA/Bugzilla stats to the
devs, as well as searching-out some critical/widely-affecting bugs and
getting those in their field of vision.

REMINDER: If any of you run into high-priority bugs, or issues that
are maybe less dangerous/harmful, but have been affecting large
numbers of our users, please feel free to email me about them. I can't
take everything in our bugtracker to the ESC, but I do try to bring as
many important issues there as possible.

>From purely a usability standpoint, I think that our current workflows
have been quite successful at identifying some of the most common and
annoying issues, and squishing those bugs, however I think that it's
quite possible that we've concurrently been recording and triaging a
host of other bugs that, although valid, are much less urgent. We
don't currently have a consistent, generalized plan to cull valid,
open bugs from the bugtracker without a fix, and so I see these
numbers may continue to increase until we can wrangle enough
contributors (QA and devs) for us to manage what's incoming AND attack
the backlog.

> Looking forward to see some answers/opinions in the QA meeting minutes.

I'll bring up the topic in the chat. I think input from devs could be
helpful as well, but starting with QA seems like a very good place to
start.

--R