[Libreoffice-qa] Reminder: QA Meeting on Wednesday

Pedro pedlino at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 07:16:21 PST 2015

Hi Joel

jmadero wrote
>> A sugestion: maybe have a branch dedicated to bug fixes every other year?
>> Example: let's say 5.1 is dedicated to fixes. Then a slight change of
>> schedule would postpone 5.2.0 to some months later so that most devs
>> would
>> concentrate on 5.1 (of course new features would still be added to Master
>> in
>> this period) instead of being split by two concurrent branches...
> This is literally impossible. We would have very talented developers
> saying no way - then what? We cannot dictate (we can suggest) what
> developers do. If we tell Developers "pause all your work and go back
> and do just regression fixing" they respond with "no" and then . . . the
> end.

Have you tried? Maybe some will say no (and they can continue to work on the
Master branch) and some may agree.

Do all QA people say No when you ask them to have a Bug Hunting session? Why
would ALL devs say No???

Why is it impossible to have a Bug Squashing Session for devs? I bet some
would find it challenging to fix more bugs than the others.

Why is it "literally impossible" to have a fix branch? Has something similar
been proposed at the ESC meeting and rejected?

jmadero wrote
> Then catching regressions before they happen is, as
> Sophi suggested, all about growing the community to do testing in Alpha.

I'm all for growing the community and for doing early tests. In fact I do
very early testing for Apache OpenOffice (where each release is a regular
install instead of a parallel Dev install)

However if there is no commitment from the Devs to fix regressions then it
really doesn't matter at which stage you catch them...

Best regards,
Pedro