[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Jan Holesovsky kendy at collabora.com
Mon Jan 11 00:20:31 PST 2016

Hi all,

Michael Meeks píše v Čt 07. 01. 2016 v 16:11 +0000:

>     + 5.1.0 RC2
>         + deadline early next week for 5.1.0 RC2 & branch & hard-code-freeze.

There is one late feature we (the Design team) would like to ask for
late inclusion; sorry for not discussing it in the ESC on Thursday:

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/21260/

The background:

To avoid too many 'Save' buttons in the toolbar ('normal' save, Save As,
Save Remote File, etc.), the solution taken was to introduce a dropdown
for the Save button where the less used functionality would be present
and accessible to the user.

Unfortunately that introduced a problem when the 'Save' button is
disabled: What to do with the dropdown when the Save itself is disabled?
How to behave the most logical way?

The solution (in the above gerrit request):

After some discussion & competitive analysis, we decided to kill the
possibility to disable Save, ie. now Save is always enabled.

We had an option for 'never disabling Save' already before, but we did
not make it the default yet, as too many people were using that as an
indicator of the changes in the document.

To provide the indicator functionality, now the 'Save' icon changes when
there are unsaved changes, and we'll have an alternative design (save
icon with an added asterisk) for the "unsaved changes present" state.
The updated icon is still to be provided, but should be in time for the
RC2 tagging.

Hope there are no concerns; the only alternative would be to revert the
Save-related changes.

+1's in gerrit appreciated, big thanks to Maxim for implementing the
feature & Samuel for backporting to libreoffice-5-1 gerrit.

Thank you,
Kendy