[Libreoffice-qa] Improving the OS Field

Tommy barta at quipo.it
Sun Mar 13 22:18:44 UTC 2016

Yousuf 'Jay' Philips wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to suggest we improve the selection of OSes in the OS listbox,
> by getting rid of the ones we dont build for or have 0 bugs for (e.g.
> AIX, HP-UX) or have virtually no open bugs for (e.g. Solaris, OpenBSD),
> as we have an 'Others' entry that should be sufficient for that.

I agree... those 4 O/S could be safely merged into "other"

> I also think we should add ones that have unique bugs that dont happen
> in different versions. Here are some of the ones i think should be added.
>
> Windows XP - quite a few bugs exclusive to this
> Windows Vista - quite a few bugs exclusive to this
> Windows 10 - would assume new bugs are being found exclusive to this
> that dont affect 7 or 8
> Windows (64-bit) - quite a lot of LO x64 build only bugs
> Linux (64-bit) - i've seen a number of these that dont affect the 32-bit
> build

I think it's better to have a short O/S list since most of the bugs fall
into large categories instead of adding too many subitems for any
specific version of the same O/S

those specific bugs are a minority of the total number
I think we already use whiteboard items like needsXP etc. etc. to
idnetify those kink of bugs and should continue doing this

> Steve would better know if we needed to break up the 'Mac OS X (All)'
> entry into additional entries.
>
> With this improved OS field, i believe we can retire the Hardware field.

I've never found the hardware field particularly useful during bug triaging

I also think it's kinda "scary and intimidating" for newbies who
approach the Bugzilla website.