[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Jay Philips philipz85 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 9 10:41:00 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

>        The "just run the console and do chmod +x <downloaded-file-name>" that
> I see on their front-page is (I suspect) rather a bit of a usability
> nightmare ;-) at least initially vs. say an app-store. Some 'technical'
> people I know are impressed by command-line use ;-)

As you can set the executable bit from within your desktop environment[1], i wouldnt expect users to jump to the console in order to do so, especially users appimage is targeting, unless they were terminal junkies. :D

[1] https://youtu.be/nzZ6Ikc7juw?t=1m16s

>        That seems reasonable. I guess it needs an active maintainer who fixes
> problems with it - that is not Cloph =) is that you and/or Antonio ?

Yes Antonio would be the maintainer.

>        I guess its useful to some people =) is there a central app-store /
> location to find appimages ?

Yep, i use it to run the latest VLC[2] and Krita[3] on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, without affecting the version that comes from the base system. As anyone can create and distribute an appimage, there isnt a central store for it, but i'd assume such a store will eventually be created in the future. The appimage author keeps a list of appimages he's aware of on a wiki, which i did link to in my previous email. Here it is again.[4]

[2] https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/VLC/3.0.0.git4ff2515.glibc2.17#files
[3] http://www.davidrevoy.com/article322/krita-appimage-for-cats
[4] https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/wiki/AppImages

>        Is Antonio in a better location for international calls ?

Yes he works at Studio Storti with Marina.

>         Sounds reasonable to me to test this out as experimental for the 5.4.x
> release and if it works well for 6.0.

Sweet.

>        Thanks Jay & Antonio !

Thanks Michael.