[Libreoffice-qa] ESC meeting agenda - Adding topic: Broken release process when fresh become still and when still become EOL'ed

William Gathoye (LibreOffice) william.gathoye at libreoffice.org
Fri Jan 29 18:49:23 UTC 2021

> I think it is intentional that we always do have two parallel versions
> available for download, but it's something that might change as we are
> looking into the rolling release system, which makes this
> differentiation obsolete.

Yes, exactly like I wrote at the end: the situation will likely change
with the new marketing plan being enforced:
> Also, following our new marketing strategic plan, what has been decided? Do we still need to use a -still version?

> [...]  What's the rationale for two days, why that urgency?

Following the notes I took from the beginning of this story it was
answered to me that 2 days was a good consensus: way enough time for the
last repos to sync and enlarging that window means end users are likely
to ask "I saw the announcement, but when using the update check it says
no update available". Have seen a bunch of requests and mails like this,
so as munch as the TDF update service and announcements are as much as
possible in sync, the risk of getting a guazzilions tweets, remarks,
personal emails, is likely to decrease.

> Also, thinking of the release days on Wednesdays or Thursdays, it might be smart to not put forward such updates during the weekends, when reaction times in case of issues are slower than during the week.

The industry comes with a standard to release on Tuesdays. Choosing that
day would have avoided this use case to happen and would have allowed
shorter differences between the TDF update service and announcements on
social media/blog/download page on the website.

--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice