[Libreoffice-qa] ESC meeting agenda - Adding topic: Broken release process when fresh become still and when still become EOL'ed

William Gathoye (LibreOffice) william.gathoye at libreoffice.org
Fri Jan 29 18:58:37 UTC 2021

On 28/01/2021 09:46, Michael Weghorn wrote:

> Unless anybody else suggests a different way to handle this, it IMHO
> certainly makes sense if you attend the ESC meeting today.
> (I've added that item to the agenda for now.)

To @all

I consider this problem solved iff the agreement reached during the last
ESC and written the minutes is met:

On 28/01/2021 16:37, Miklos Vajna wrote:

> [...]
> + could nominally adjust the date of 6.4 EOL → but still no more versions (Cloph)
>       + would this mean the website vs update check will be in sync? (William)
>       + yes, ignoring the 1w delay (Cloph)
>       + agree to not update everybody instantly (Thorsten)
> [...]

Ensuring there is no gap and the N-1 release doesn't EOL before N+2 is
released, this will fix the issue: the situation where the version of
-still equals the version of -fresh at some periods of the year will not
happen anymore.

So in this use case, the end of date of 6.4 [1] should have been
extended to Feb 7 2021 [2] instead of Nov 30 2020.

Like written and confirmed by Cloph, we can accept <=1 week of delay
between announcement and the TDF update service **iff** we stick to it
and we are consistent in the delay where the TDF update service and
announcement are out of sync.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/6.4#End_of_Life
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/7.1

--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice