[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice] Suggestion and patch for "Confirmation of save format" dialog

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Wed Aug 10 09:19:23 PDT 2011

I wrote accidentally only to Astron. Here now to the list too. In
addition find Astrons answer below.

Hi Astron,

Astron schrieb:
> Hi,

> ===
> This document may contain formatting or content that cannot be saved in
> *Microsoft Word 97/200/XP/2003* (DOC) file format.
> Do you want to keep this file format for this document?
>
> Use the ODx format to make sure all formatting and content is saved correctly.
>
> [Keep DOC Format] [Save in ODx Format]
>
> [x] Ask when not saving as ODF"
> ===
>
> (ODx should be replaced by each application's specific OpenDocument format.)
>
> Advantages:
> * no new strings necessary for the application names (like "Microsoft
> Word") (I only guess here)
> * the word "keep" is mentioned in the question as well as on the
> button (not sure it sounds good in the question, though – please
> advise)

The word "keep" is the reason for the current misunderstanding in the
dialog. It should be changed. Reasoning: The dialog comes up, if you are
working on a document, which is in ODF- Format and  you will save it in
an alien format. So for the user "keep" means "keep the current ODF-Format".

My proposal:
===
This document may contain formatting or content that cannot be saved in
  *Microsoft Word 97/200/XP/2003* (DOC) file format.

Use the ODx format to make sure all formatting and content is saved
correctly.

[Save in DOC Format] [Save in ODx Format]

[x] Ask when not saving as ODF"
===

The question "Do you want to keep this file format for this document?"
is not necessary at all, because the buttons do not have Yes/No, but say
directly what they do.

So the buttons are understandable without reading the text above it. But
if an user wonders, why the dialog comes up, he can read the explanation.

If it is not possible to put 'DOC' (or the another special alien
formats) into the button, then the neutral Text "Save in Alien Format"
can be used.

Kind regards
Regina

======
Answer I got:

Hi, Regina, I think you've accidentally replied to me only (this list
has the feature [other people's words, not mine] that you don't
automatically reply to the list). It's probably best if you re-send it
to the list.

Here's a bit of feedback:
* I think the whole idea was to avoid being unspecific in the buttons,
so "Save in Alien Format" is IMHO not good (and also sounds technical)
* I am not an absolute UI expert (merely an interested user), but I
think it is obligatory to have a question in "confirmation alerts",
although e.g. Gnome HIG (I am GNOME user, so I always refer to this
HIG) doesn't explicitly mention a question, it is present in all (two)
examples [1].
* You are right that "keep" might not be the best fitting word in many
cases this dialogue is used (but I didn't see "save" as a better
replacement (read on)). However, the user still affirms a choice, so I
don't know for sure.
* I am unsure if using the same verb for both buttons makes them too
interchangeable (although of course the file format should be the
important thing)

(Please feel free to copy my feedback into your mail to the list.)

Regards,
Astron.

[1]
http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/stable/windows-alert.html.en#alerts-confirmation