[Libreoffice-ux-advise] F4 in spreadsheet

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at documentfoundation.org
Fri Aug 26 17:50:31 PDT 2011

Hi Fellow UX'ers

In a large company with strong MS culture (how come!) where I serve as
consultant, I have been contacted to evaluate if LibreOffice could consider
to assign a better role for F4 key in Calc.

In Microsoft Excel, F4 is "Repeat", while in LibreOffice "Repeat" is
Ctrl+Shift+Y and F4 is "Open datasource view". Seems that when formatting
many cells with the same format, "Repeat" on a single key is a must...

Of course, heavy users of Excel's F4 complains that LO's F4 is useless. And
Ctrl+Shift+Y is a finger twist that a few can perform (especially that it
obliges you to have the 2 hands over the keyboard), and thus we get rants
about LO.

They have a point, I may say.

And If I assign F4 to "Repeat" in LO, I will lower the noise level in a
migration job, and I can consider a salary raise. lol.

So what our UX friends think about moving "Repeat" to F4, "forever"?
Feasible? Advisable? Recomended?

--
Olivier Hallot
Founder and Steering Commitee Member