[Libreoffice-ux-advise] F4 in spreadsheet

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at suse.com
Mon Aug 29 09:59:14 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-27 at 15:12 +0200, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cor Nouws schrieb:
> > Olivier Hallot wrote (27-08-11 02:50)
> >
> >> So what our UX friends think about moving "Repeat" to F4, "forever"?
> >> Feasible? Advisable? Recomended?
> >
> > Ah, and of course you know the possibility to to change the current
> > configuration with an extension or just an xml file, that you could both
> > push in the package...
> >

> There is already a keybinding drop-down list in Tools-> Options-> Calc->
> Compatibility. I don't know how it is implemented, but perhaps it is
> possible to extend it with a "like Excel 2003" item? I know many users
> from Excel or Word want to get the same shortcuts, but I'm no Excel user
> and would not like a general change.

The idea I had in mind was to make the default as close to Excel's
default as possible, and use OOo legacy for those folks who are totally
bound to the old key bindings.  I would still like to hear Christoph's
thought on this, but from my POV fewer the choices the better in terms
of supportability and maintainability.

So, I would like us to avoid introducing an explicit Excel style key
bindings here, but use Default for that purpose.

Other than that, I have no problem with changing F4 to match Excel's.

As for F4 being an global key binding, we could change this to Calc and
Writer only key binding since F4 does nothing outside of Calc and Writer
anyway.  It's probably a good idea to make F4 a non-global key binding.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kohei.yoshida at suse.com>