[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Tooltips options removal, was: Automatically select an option page if a user clicks on a category

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 21 04:52:12 PST 2011

Hi August,

On 21 December 2011 12:18, August Sodora <augsod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Great, I'd love to implement more of the things on that page too.

There are also some really low-hanging fruit here:
On the View page:
* Fonts > Show preview of fonts
* Fonts > Show font history
On the Load/Save page:
* Save > Save URLs relative to file system
* Save > Save URLs relative to internet
– All of these functions should be kept on (they're useful), but the
options for them should not need any kind of replacement (even in the
configurations files, we probably don't need any of this).

Next, maybe a good next thing to do would be to remove the first two
options from here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Whiteboards/KillOptions#General
(the options I mean are Tooltips/Extended tooltips)

But, before you do this, there are a few prerequisites, most of those
are listed on the page (improve tooltip behaviour). I do think we
should have some sort of preference for the tooltip delay, as Regina
describes, but only in some configuration file [1], there should be
some value (like -1) that would just use the system default for
tooltip delay (which is also what this configuration option should
default to).

Additional constraint, not listed as such on the page: the extended
tooltips should probably be migrated from the help files to the main
installation. But for a first implementation, it should be good enough
to just fall back to the normal tooltip only if no help file is
installed.

This a quite a bit more invasive than the filler pages were, I think,
but I hope that's fine with you.

Regards,

Astron.

[1] We will definitely something like about:config in Mozilla software
at some point to configure these in a sensible way. In the spec it's
titled the Advanced Options Panel (AOP), but for now I haven't worked
on this at all.