[Libreoffice-ux-advise] drawing toolbar interactions

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Thu Jul 21 09:40:43 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Astron schrieb:
[..]
>> What is really confusing is that it is not obvious, if a tool is "sticky"
>> or not.
>
> See the Catia example – but I'm not sure that's a good solution since
> it is somehow unnatural to double click toolbar icons. (Sorry, I can't
> present links to any HIGs or such right now.)

It is not confusing to old StarOffice users, who even know a "long click".

>> E.g. Double click on rectangle will make the rectangle shape
>> in standard shapes sticky. But as this is hidden in a floating toolbar,
>> user has no info about this status.

In Draw the summary icon shows "pressed", if one of its sub tools is
active but not visible. If the sub window is open, the state "pressed"
it shown with the tool itself. The problem is in Writer and Calc. There
the summary icon does not show, that a tool from its sub window is active.

> The current behaviour looks like someone forgot to remove the leftmost
> buttons (line, line/arrow, rectangle, ellipse) when reworking them as
> aliases for the Lines and Arrows and Basic Shapes tools.

No. The objects have different properties. So the classical shapes are
there intentionally and I will fight for them till the custom shapes
have got _all_ of the properties of the classical shapes. But work on
that is not possible before Armins CWS080 with a refactoring of the
SdrObjects is finished.

  I am pretty
> sure that in older versions of Ooo the line, line with arrow,
> rectangle and ellipse buttons could be depressed.

No. That was never possible, neither in StarOffice nor in OOo1. The only
change from older versions is the remove of the "long click" in favor of
the little black triangle.

> The buttons in Writer and Calc suffer from a similar bug: they work,
> but none shows can be depressed. (I am using 3.4.1, so if you've
> already fixed that I don't know.)

A drawing toolbar in Writer and Calc does not know the state "single
operation" but a single click leads to "sticky" and a double click is
not possible. The problem in Writer and Calc is, that the icon is not
shown pressed, so that you can only guess from the mouse cursor symbol
which tool is active.

If you compare Writer/Calc with Draw/Impress you touch the old
discussion, how much of the functionality of Draw/Impress should be
available in Writer/Calc.

Kind regards
Regina