[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice] Performance improvements for calcs' sheet actions

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Sun Jun 5 10:47:12 PDT 2011

Hi Markus, Kohei, all!

Am Sonntag, den 05.06.2011, 13:23 -0400 schrieb Kohei Yoshida:
> Hi Markus,
>
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Markus Mohrhard
> <markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to here any suggestions before I change anything UI related.

Cool :-)

Although Kohei already proposed an alternative, I'd like ask you
something. In you initial mail, you've stated "it turns out that we need
much more time updating the progress bar than we need to move the
sheet". How much is needed for such stuff - also considering rare cases?

If we could guarantee that moving stuff around will never take more than
(let's say) 1 second (complex document, old computer), then there is no
need to visualize the status of this operation. If not, then the user
has to be informed about that ... thus, Kohei's suggestion (as far as I
understand it (I'm not a developer) sounds very reasonable.

> So, there are two things that I could see us changing.
>
> One is to update the progress bar only once per sheet, instead of once
> per column in each sheet.  I find the latter simply a bit silly, not
> to mention it has terrible performance consequences.

[...]

> The key is to not eliminate the progress bar, but simply reduce the
> frequency of updating which can be very expensive especially when
> using GTK to draw the progress bar.

Cheers,
Christoph