[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Subscribing to UIX lists

Bernhard Dippold bernhard at familie-dippold.at
Wed Jun 15 14:24:24 PDT 2011

Hi Nate,

reading the header of your mail you already sent a subscribe request to
the Design list (design at global.libreoffice.org). Once you have replied
to the automated confirmation you'll get all the mails sent to the list
and you're able to post your mails there without the need for moderation.

Would you mind to send your introduction to this list as well?

Nathaniel Schultz schrieb:

> After looking through your website for help needed, the obvious place to
> help is user interface design. (an area I've worked in)

Welcome to the design team!

If you want to have a look at the areas we're working on at the moment,
please have a look at our wiki area [1] (especially the Whiteboard
section [2]) and the mailing list archive [3] (here probably the
subjects of the last weeks' postings are enough).

> I don't promise
> to devote tons of time to this, but I will attempt to send you guys
> useful input when I have it.

That's great! I'm looking forward to reading your comments!

> I already have some thoughts about grouping commands into task-based
> options (which shall overlap, if things like "Insert" and "Edit" are
> separated. Adding something and then adjusting it, or removing something
> and replacing  with something else are obviously frequent use cases.)
> that could help in navigation/location of options and selecting of
> relevant feedback. Something more concrete to toss out as a proposal
> would be more useful, though, so I'm planning on developing the idea a
> whit before actually throwing it out there.

This task fits very well with the action items discussed on the design
list.

Even if we have not finished our work in providing an easy access and a
well organized repository for the topics we work on, it would be great
to have you on board.

> I'm not certain which lists to join, from the website, so here goes nothing.

design at global.libreoffice.org is about visual design and user
experience/interaction design.

accessibility at global.libreoffice.org is dedicated to accessibility
topics. As these topics are tightly related to UI design, there are
overlapping interests in this area.

libreoffice-ux-advise at lists.freedesktop.org is meant to serve as a low
noise interface between developers and UX / UI people. This list is very
new, but developers working on patches with UI modifications should be
able to get UX advise here on the list.

I hope this clarifies a bit...

Best regards and welcome again

Bernhard