[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new range name dialog proposal

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at suse.com
Fri Nov 4 14:31:29 PDT 2011

Hi Christoph,

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 22:10 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:

> Just to remember: The original question was, whether people do
> experience bad performance, if only one range name is changed at once.
> You told me "yes",

I said it *can* cause a bad performance.  I didn't say it always causes
a bad performance, just to be clear.

IOW, all I said was people *can* experience a bad performance with large
enough documents.  They may, or may not, depending on their
circumstances.

> so we need to offer a "change multiply names, then
> apply the changes". I've asked why Excel can do this, since I understand
> their implementation that way.

And I hope I've already explained to you that Excel can't, or at least
Excel can't guarantee that bad performance won't result under any
circumstances.

> So here we go ...
>
> > In Excel 2007 and up, the Name Manager dialog is in fact modal, and it
> > launches a separate sub dialog to allow editing of individual names one
> > at a time.
>
> An example of the Excel 2010 manage names dialog can be seen here:
> http://media.wiley.com/Lux/10/209010.image0.jpg
>
> I understand it the following way ... adding / editing a single entry
> launches a separate window that needs confirmation. It exists a shortcut
> to change the expression - but that also needs confirmation via the
> checkmark button. But, the manage names dialog itself is non-modal,
> since it generally seems to allow working with the document.
>
> Only one exception: "You cannot use the Name Manager dialog box while
> you are changing the contents of the cell." according:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/define-and-use-names-in-formulas-HA010147120.aspx
>
> So, in general, the name manager is non-modal.

I disagree with your last line, or maybe you and I have a different
definition of dialog modality (which is possible, since you see it from
a designer's prospective while I see it from a developer's).

The reason why I call the dialog modal is simply for the following two
reasons:

1) You can't edit cell contents while the name manager dialog (the main
dialog with the list box) is up.  You can't even click on any cells to
set cursor there.  While the dialog is up you lose the editing
capability.  All you can do is change the names within the dialog.

2) Excel performs re-calculation *only when* you click 'Close' to
dismiss the main dialog, the dialog whose screenshot you referenced
above.

Anyway, I simply want to invite you to just play with Excel 2007 or 2010
at work and draw your own conclusion.

Best,

Kohei