[Libreoffice-ux-advise] lp#891539: Fullscreen via F11 should work

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Thu Nov 17 14:31:24 PST 2011

Hi Björn, all!

Missing time only let me spent a few minutes on this issue ... so just
some hints others might pick up.

Am Donnerstag, den 17.11.2011, 18:37 +0100 schrieb Bjoern Michaelsen:
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/891539
>
> requesting to change fullscreen shortcuts from CTRL+SHIFT+J to F11. Actually we
> had that patch in Ubuntu once, but I reverted it because:
>
>  a) Documentation was not updated
>  b) It broke the cross-platform experience of LibreOffice
>
> So if this is changed, it has to be done upstream (think l10n). Are there any
> blockers to move fullscreen to F11 on all platforms? If not, I would upstream
> the issue and EasyHackify it.

Three comments ...

First, our dear colleagues at Wikipedia provide a great table with
shortcut keys for different platforms. Except for Mac OS X, [F11] seems
common for all platforms - but I'm unsure why it doesn't work there
(some people claim F11 is bound for Exposé features, Firefox offers F11
for fullscreen view as well)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts#Window_management

Second, F11 is not the only related feature bound to F11. Shift+F11
seems used for new styles (from selection), and Ctrl+Shift+F11 updates a
style. So binding a given feature to F11 might break the similarity of
the other F11-keybindings.

Third, are we sure that the fullscreen view is more often used than
working with the Stylist? It seems we don't have a viable (easy to
remember) shortcut for that.

Other statements?

Cheers,
Christoph