[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new range name dialog proposal

Astron heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 20 23:54:39 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

>> After implementing parts of the "Select Range" button I think it is
>> redundant. If you want to see the range then you can either go to the
>> range line directly or click the button after the range line and the
>> range is highlighted in the document. I think that for nearly all use
>> cases this should be enough.
>
> Ah, so changing the range expression also jumps towards the target. Yes,
> then it is less needed.
>
> But let's have a look at the "default functionality" in the dialog
> (pressing ENTER, or double clicking on an entry). Having no "Select
> Range" leads to the alternatives ...
>      * Going to the Text Field "Name" makes sense visually - it is the
>        very next field. But I assume that name changes are less likely
>        than checking / modifying the range. Thus, undesired.
>      * Going to the Text Field "Range" might make sense from the
>        use-case point-of-view. But, we don't have a "default
>        functionality" visualization like for buttons. Thus, people
>        won't know that easily. Furthermore, using the keyboard and
>        jumping to the ranges (the visual check) doesn't work anymore,
>        since the focus is moved from the table to the edit field.
>      * Avoid to go to any input field / button, but executing "select
>        range" (without having such a button). But, user don't see this
>        functionality and I don't know whether omitting this button will
>        cause problems for accessibility.

If I may voice an opinion, I happen to agree with Markus on this issue
– I think the visualisation should appear on single-clicking/↓↑ arrow
selecting the list entry, as it does today and of course when
modifying such an entry.
For a solution to the focus problem, why not go for option 1?

* Name is the most inconsequential field (given that the names are
updated automatically in formulas when applying), so if the user
doesn't notice the focus change immediately after double-clicking, it
won't hurt at all.

* Going to "range" is just one extra tab away.

* It makes sense for keyboard users. (Entry table, Tab→, Name field,
Tab→, Range field, Tab→, Scope field, Tab→, Range Options, Tab→ (the
five buttons), Tab→, Entry table)

* It makes sense visually.

>> I hope that beginning of next week the first big part of my work hits
>> master. It is only a rough plan and I'll drop you a second note as
>> soon as I pushed all my changes and think it is ready for some first
>> tests by you.

Will love to try, too.

Astron.