[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new range name dialog proposal

Astron heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 24 09:52:54 PDT 2011

Hi Christoph, everyone else,

here is a slightly different proposal -- it builds very much on the
previous work, but is horizontally oriented:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Rangenames-Astron.png

Also, there is only one dialogue now (the Define Names dialogue is
removed from the concept), as Manage Names does everything.

There are a few warts still in there:

* The Undo button only appears if something is actually wrong. So, if
you want to Undo anything, you have to use the toolbar in the main
window (I hope that will be possible with the new dialogue – the old
one is mostly modal). If that should be a deal breaker, an Undo button
could of course be added unconditionally (it would be located more or
less where it is inside the bar now).

* The position of the Help button might be a bit odd. That could
rectified by using two row of buttons (using up a little list space),
like
[New] [Delete] [Paste] |               (Undo)
[Help]                                [Close]

* Note III doesn't account for the possibility of entering formulas
into the field "range." I didn't know how to test this functionality
properly, so far. By the way, the field doesn't currently seem to be
well sanitised: entering e.g. $Sheet1.$D$6+$D$12 leads to LibO
crashing on both Win32 and Linux 64-bit.
Also, to use formulas, formula completion should be available.

* The mock-up doesn't at all account for the Names > Create... functionality.

* Terminology is not consistent with regards to "New" v/ "Add" – in
the next version I'll always use "New" (I'd like to use "new" in the
menu and additionally "new" goes better with "delete" than "add"
does).

* Finally, with regards to the menu structure it strays a bit further
away from the original than you intended...

> thanks for the input ... most of your remarks can be explained and I'll do
> that this evening. At the hackfest and the conference, Markus was so kind to
> explain a lot of constraints we have here.

Thanks.

Regards,

Astron.