[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new range name dialog proposal

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at suse.com
Thu Oct 27 15:43:39 PDT 2011

Hi Astron,

On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 23:53 +0200, Astron wrote:
> Hi Kohei, Markus, Christoph, and everyone else,
>

> To repeat one of Christoph's earlier questions: can you give a
> specific timespan per recalculation for the common case and for a
> particularly taxing document?

I answered to Christoph's mail.  I hope that answers your question.

> And, then, another question: is it really absolutely impossible to
> validate a formula without recalculating the entire document?

It's not about validating a formula, which can be done separately and
individually.  But since in the proposed design the new name gets
updated in the model immediately when it gets updated in the dialog, the
re-calc needs to happen right away (unless the auto re-calc setting is
turned off: see Tools -> Cell Contents -> AutoCalculate).

Think of it this way.  When you have 1000 cells that use one of the
defined named ranges, and you update its definition.  This triggers
those 1000 cells to be re-calculated to reflect the new named range
definition and calculate the new values.  If other cells reference any
of those 1000 cells, they need to be re-calculated also.  So the whole
chain of cells can be quite big.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc