[Libreoffice-ux-advise] writer+calc - anchor icons ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Mon Oct 31 10:54:52 PDT 2011

Hi there,

	Last split out mail:

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 15:28 +0100, Astron wrote:
> Lastly, there's the anchor image from Writer that is also in dire need
> of replacement.

	Oooh ! that could be pretty indeed :-)

> What would be great:
> * to know the location of these images in the git repository (sorry, I
> really tried finding them, but there are too many icons)

	Not certain, but I tried:

cd sw/ ; git grep ANCHOR
sw/source/ui/utlui/initui.src:    BITMAP BMP_FRAME_ANCHOR { FILE = "anchor.bmp" ; };
sw/source/ui/utlui/initui.src:    BITMAP BMP_FRAME_DRAG_ANCHOR { FILE = "danchor.bmp" ; };

	Which looks promising, but in fact both of these images are 'missing
icon' icons ;-) I'll add an easy hack to remove them & associated cruft when I can.

	In fact the anchors are in the images attached - which have never been
themed nicely (AFAIK). The second set have been 'improved' a bit, but
its unclear if we use them. It took me about an hour to find the code
(finally from sc/) - the handle object is a:

	svx/source/svdraw/svdhdl.cxx

	and we create in sc/ with:

        rHdl.AddHdl(new SdrHdl(aPos, bNegativePage ? HDL_ANCHOR_TR : HDL_ANCHOR));

	In -theory- we switch between these two different images of anchor at
the cursor blink frequency:

            // #98388# when anchor is used take upper left as reference point inside the handle
	pRetval = new ::sdr::overlay::OverlayAnimatedBitmapEx(rPos, aBmpEx1, aBmpEx2, nBlinkTime);

	But I've (personally) never noticed that - perhaps this is because the
images are so similar ? or possibly it is just broken - possibly
OverlayAnimatedBitmapEx is having a bad year.

> * to know what's possible with these images – most importantly: alpha
> transparency?

	So - it -looks- as if all that good stuff is possible. It is entirely
possible / probable that we should rip those anchor icons out of their
sets and enlarge / prettify / alpha-blend them.

	It'd be great if you could experiment with using alpha / improving the
look of those in your LibreOffice images*.zip ?

> * if someone could remove the additional UI/code
> * if someone would make them themeable (if they aren't
> already/strictly optional)

	So - they are already themable, but (I guess) no-one ever knew how to.
There is also a theme-inside-a-theme of the

	    sal_Bool bIsFineHdl(pHdlList->IsFineHdl());

	that switches between the two sets; from 'SetFineHdl' only called from:

	void SdrMarkView::SetSolidMarkHdl(sal_Bool bOn)

	Which seems to be tied to the 'SimpleHandles' config setting, and I guess
the other images in that bitmap are in fact the handles we use to edit line shapes
etc. The question is - do we really want the "simple handles" mode / configuration
option anymore ? it seems redundant to me and the handles look even less pretty.

	Thanks for caring about this detail !

	ATB,

		Michael.