[Libreoffice-ux-advise] F4 in spreadsheet

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at documentfoundation.org
Sat Sep 10 10:58:59 PDT 2011

Hi Christoph

Em 05-09-2011 16:54, Christoph Noack escreveu:
> Hi Cor, all!
>
> Back from vacation and still smelling Italo's excellent pasta from the
> Hackfest :-)
>
> Am Samstag, den 27.08.2011, 14:54 +0200 schrieb Cor Nouws:
>> Olivier Hallot wrote (27-08-11 02:50)
>>
>>> So what our UX friends think about moving "Repeat" to F4, "forever"?
>>> Feasible? Advisable? Recomended?
>> Ah, and of course you know the possibility to to change the current
>> configuration with an extension or just an xml file, that you could both
>> push in the package...
> There is another option, although I'm not a friend of the today's
> solution (since we alienate the existing user base). But with some
> tweaks it might do the job very well ...
>
> Kohei (as far as I know) added another "compatibility" pane to the
> options dialog. This dialog "Excel-fies" some keybindings in a rush. In
> a company (controlled rollout, stable user settings) this should work
> very good.
>
> But since we are on libreoffice-ux-advice, here is what I think might
> work better:
>        * use the given LibreOffice / OpenOffice.org keybindings per
>          default
>        * optional: move the compatibility functionality to "Tools -
>          Customize" (basically, I assume it is a "Load..." keyboard
>          settings) so that other modules benefit as well
>        * add the keybinding F4 to the "Excel-fied" settings list
>
> Olivier, Cor, Astron - might this doe the job? If yes, then we should
> contact/add the Calc guys...
>
> Personally, I think this would keep LibreOffice clean on the one side,
> but would allow others to quickly tweak the setting if a migration is
> needed. But we should have in mind that doing something like that causes
> pain for those who change between LibreOffice installations with
> different configuration (and sadly, keybindings are something you don't
> see if you execute it blindly ... surprise, surprise).
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

The idea of a key binding configuration set that (to the best effort)
can mimick Excel is an interesting idea.

Of course I guess some restriction apply and I would start for Windows
first ("Market share oblige").

What do we need to provide such key mapping? A simple text list? I f you
help to find the right spot in the source I can try to give a spin on it.

--
Olivier Hallot
Founder, Steering Commitee Member - The Document Foundation