[Libreoffice-ux-advise] to duplicate an existing style

Rafael Rocha Daud rrdaud at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 15:51:50 PDT 2011

Hi Regina, all,

did you mean we should have three entries: [New], [Child] and
[Duplicate]? Would this "child style" not be just the same as "new style
based on..."? Even if so, maybe your naming is clearer: I should know
that the "child style" keeps a relation with the "parent style": the
inheritance. This could be clearer and help distinguish between Child
and Duplicate, since "new style based on..." doesn't imply, at least
doesn't seem to imply the inheritance relation, so it would be just the
same as "duplicate".

As for the naming scheme, Christoph, is it really that important? People
usually change the default names: granted they know what they're doing,
any name would fit. The thing is: people don't always know what they're
doing regarding to styles, so what could we do to make it more transparent?
With that in mind, I believe we should stress the inheritance logic in
all ways we can: "My Style (duplicate) (n)" as default name for
Duplicate, and "New (inherited from My Style) (n)" -- a modified form of
your advanced proposal on that -- could be more suitable than just
naming "Untitled" or "Unnamed" as it is today for new styles which get
inheritance. The thing is: inheritance is permanent, so if you say
"based on" one might think the parent style don't influence the child
style anymore after creation. Maybe "New (Child of My Style) (n)" would
be an even better aproach.
That's what I think, but I didn't get quite well your rejection of "New
(based on My Style) (n)" and what you meant by "flooding LibO with wrong
information". Could you explain this a little further?

And about the style preview: do you think we need a preview of all
styles at the same time? In MSOffice it is like that, but they can only
show a handful of styles at once. I'm not sure if it's useful to preview
all styles like that. We could though still have our list, and only
preview the style that is selected on that list. It would still allow to
compare to the current applied style -- which is already visible in the
text itself.

Cheers./