[Libreoffice-ux-advise] embedding palettes etc. ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Sep 12 02:35:53 PDT 2011

Hi guys,

	I've recently been working on enabling embedding palettes / bitmaps /
gradients / etc. into ODF documents - and I've implemented import/export
for all of that [ only for impress currently ].

	I just pushed a change adding a check-box to allow the user to
configure this embedding to master (cf. attached screenshot "[X]
Embed").

	Of course, when you start to look at the 'Area' dialog - you begin to
wonder why this is the place used to configure the choice of palette
(and all these other attributes) in random tabs for the document - and
not for the specific area you selected. That seems rather non-intuitive
to me :-)

	In an ideal world, we'd have some (easy to implement) central place for
embedding things into the document: perhaps File->Properties or some
equivalent that would show you:

	* embedded palette, fill bitmap, hatch, line-dash etc.
	* embedded media files [ I'll try to dig into this next ;-]
	* embedded gallery [ also a wish-list ]
	* embedded related data files [ deep-future wish-list ]

	And some nice linking mechanism 'configure palette' or whatever that
would take the user there from the 'Area' dialog (?)

	Anyhow - testing / thoughts / ideas appreciated. There are still some
slightly rough corners in the interactions there, palettes think they
are modified when they are not first time but ...

	Hopefully it'll be in the next tinderbox build to play with, and I plan
to extend it to all these tabs (for now).

	All the best,

		Michael.