[Libreoffice-ux-advise] to duplicate an existing style

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Mon Sep 12 11:48:49 PDT 2011

Hi Rafael, hi all!

Much stuff is waiting today, so just a short reply ..

Am Montag, den 12.09.2011, 15:37 -0300 schrieb Rafael Rocha Daud:
> Sorry, missed the link to the mentioned preview proposal:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Styles_and_Formatting_window
>
> Em 12-09-2011 15:30, Rafael Rocha Daud escreveu:
> > Hi Astron, all,
> >

> > I like that Abiword preview, but not sure if it fits well for styles.
> > Styles are much dependent on context, so it's not enough to show one
> > line, but you have to show how it behaves in comparison with
> > "default", "text body" or at least "next style". Please check my
> > proposal [1]. Preview wouldn't go within the list, but in a box inside
> > Styles and Formatting window. That box would be collapsable (does that
> > word even exist?) as per someone's suggestion.

Well, with regard to the preview we should decide what helps users most:
      * Just show style names --> easy for organizing stuff if people
        know what they are doing
      * Show one preview of the style --> lets people get a rough
        feeling what the "Source Code" style means
      * Use previews to select styles --> people "think" visually, so
        they can select the style they see without double-checking

Concerning the latter, all problems mentioned so far can be solved - or
do even help. Parts of this is already done for the font selection (e.g.
Open Symbol).

Concerning the preview - what's the largest contextual preview area we
do have? The document area ... it's the content area the users wants to
achieve something with. This avoids the user of separate preview areas
which really need some screen space and force users to mentally transfer
what they see to the document they work with.

By the way, I've seen many proposals during the last days - could
anybody pick that information and write it up, so that we have
consistent proposal that developers might work on (e.g. in slices)? I've
seen so many good ideas ... being still bound to headers/footers or name
ranges or ...

Cheers,
Christoph