[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Hiding/Showing the page breaks in writer

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Tue Sep 27 14:18:22 PDT 2011

Hi Cedric, all!

Cedric, I hope you're enjoying the hackweek (if you're still there),
please don't forget to sleep (especially if you're at home again).

Am Dienstag, den 27.09.2011, 09:45 +0200 schrieb Cedric Bosdonnat:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Sat, 2011-09-24 at 15:14 +0200, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > just checked the recent daily build ... some issues I've noticed when
> > playing around:
> >       * the indicator line is wider than the page (on the right side,
> >         for LTR) ... that looks a bit strange when zooming or working in
> >         book layout. Could you set the size according the page width?
>
> Yep, but insert a note in one of the pages... you'll see that we
> certainly want to find a compromise with that too ;)

Mmh, maybe I wasn't clear here? If I insert a note/comment, everything
works fine and the length of your page break line is extended
(correctly). It is just a bit wide like ... (below, its wider than the
page).

        br>------------------------------------------
            +------------------------------------+
            |                                    |
            |                                    |

> >       * When I called the function the first time, it took about 10
> >         seconds until the action (page break) was visible. I don't know
> >         whether this was caused by a weird installation (got some
> >         errors, Java is missing).
>
> Weird... I'm not sure it's related.
>
> >       * When the element was shown the very first time, then the right
> >         side of the line was "half-drawn" (only the continuous stroke,
> >         some dashed part was missing)
>
> Hum... strange.
>
> >       * When I added a header, the cursor (among with the page) jumped
> >         upwards. The area left and right to the pages weren't re-drawn,
> >         so parts of the page break indicators were visible. Clicking on
> >         them made them disappear.
>
> Ok, I'll check that, there may be some redraw problems since I changed
> that a lot.

Cool, thanks!

> >       * The menu items don't do anything yet (I'm sure you know *G*)
>
> Sure, they aren't implemented ATM ;)
>
> > One last thing ... I don't know whether the button itself is a bit large
> > (good for the button handling, but visually it might be a bit strong ...
> > thinking about going towards a 16x16 icon).
> > @ Astron: What do you think?
>
> I hesitated quite a long time on that... so your input there is highly
> appreciated.

Phew, I don't have the "oh so great" solution at the moment, but I
played a bit with some ideas:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7HmsuAXxc8BJeGdELeqsUg?feat=directlink

In my personal view, #3 fits best - although stuff like brightness and
details (for the icon) and refinement (like decision on rounded edges)
is missing yet. But, I think that it fits well to the notes and the
header/footer indicators.

Cheers,
Christoph