[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Java GUI for Libre-Office Based Android App(s)

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 08:10:13 PDT 2012

2012/4/26 Tor Lillqvist <tml at iki.fi>

> > Should there be a separate view mode, then, or would the viewing UI
> > gradually develop into an editing UI?
>
> I think there would be a separate viewer app (or apps) first, the
> editing-capable ones would then be developed when the viewer
> functionality starts getting good enough.

Oh, a completely separate application, then.
If you opt for having a single LibreOffice application that would contain
all modules (which is what I'd prefer personally, as I tend to group my ODF
files by project, not by file type, and I'm a Google Docs user, which is
also suited for that), would the first version of the editing-capable
application contain only the modules that can edit files, or contain a mix
of editing-capable and view-only modules?
(I'd prefer the latter.)

> >> We don't know for
> >> instance whether it will make sense to combine handling of all three
> >> document types (text, spreadsheet, presentation) into one app, or have
> >> a separate one for each.
>
> > Will your decision depend largely on the technical difficulties posed by
> > each option, or is this more of a UX problem?
>
> Both. It might be, for instance, that an app to cover all three kinds
> of documents brings in so much code that some real or apparent app
> size limit is exceeded.

I've seen some shots of LibreOffice running under Android (with the desktop
UI and a colorful margin) -- was that the whole of LibreOffice running
under Android, or just a small portion of the code?
Also, how much code do the modules share? Will they share more code over
time?
(I know Calligra Suite is very modular, LibreOffice apparently not so much.)

> And, there are some very real technical
> differences in how a viewer app can get the services it needs from the
> lower layers of the code for the different kinds of documents.
>
> And then there is a question whether we have enough UX resources to do
> a good design for all three document kinds, or should we concentrate
> on one at a time?

In my view, the UI for each module doesn't need to be so different as to
require having a separate module for each.

I've done some brainstorming on how the current UI might be tweaked to get
a tablet UI at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Tablet_Writer and
http://clickortap.wordpress.com/frivl/.