[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Change LibreOffice's behavior of how formatting is applied

Daniel Mania daniel.mania at umb.no
Mon Aug 6 04:14:36 PDT 2012

Hei hei!

Some time ago I filed a bug report (ID 46517) about LibreOffice's
subscript/superscript behavior. This report got closed and I would like
to discuss it here instead and also expand it to formatting in general.

Currently, if the user activates any formatting (e.g. "Text bold"), the
outcome depends on the cursor position:

a)
If the cursor is "inside" a word (behind first character and in front of
last character), the whole word will be formatted (even though it is
unmarked).

b)
If the cursor is anywhere else, only newly typed characters will be
formatted.

This is another example of how LibreOffice forces the user to think
about the outcome of an action depending on the current situation. And
you might know by now that I "kind of dislike" this. ;-)

Now I would like to know if I am "a special case", or if we should
change the formatting behavior to:

"After a formatting was invoked, only affect newly typed characters at
the cursor position."
Of course this only applies if no characters were marked before.

"bfoman" stated that the current behavior is the default in MS Word
2010, but in MS Word 2007, formatting works like I would expect (and
proposed) it. An old version of LibreOffice (3.3.4) already shows that
behavior and I do not know since when it exists. This might be a "big"
change if it is an ancient way to handle formatting. On the other side
it might be something that would not matter to 99.9 % of the users, but
changing it would please the remaining 0.1 %.

Greetings,
Daniel M