[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Relicensing of your contributions to the Gnome theme for LibreOffice

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 03:24:36 PDT 2012

Hello Jakub,

glad you wrote back. :)

On 6 August 2012 14:31, Jakub Steiner <jimmac at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
> sorry I've let a response slip through. Wouldn't the fact that
> gnome-icon-theme is LGPL3 be enough to allow incorporating the bits you need
> into the libre office tree?

So, regarding LGPL:
* you are currently using LGPL3-only, while we use LGPL-3-or-higher
* in the near future, we'll add the MPL2 license to the fold (the
reason for that is that we do not want to seem commercially-unfriendly
and also do still hope to be able to welcome the Apache OpenOffice
contributors to our project at some point.)

So currently (for 3.6) we are using your icons under CC-BY-SA (which
is apparently fine for now...). Mid-term, though, I believe, we'd like
to switch that to MPL2 for reasons of manageability/license tracking
(which of our icons are under MPL which are under CC-BY-SA?, etc.)
which can be quite hard, especially with binary PNG files.

Astron.