[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [REVIEW 3-6] Window background of toolbars

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Fri Aug 10 08:22:57 PDT 2012

Hi Astron,

Stefan Knorr píše v Pá 29. 06. 2012 v 09:50 +0200:

> sorry, it took so long... I have attached a mock-up of what I'd like. It
> builds on the last screenshot that you made available of the opaque menu
> bars – so hopefully it's current.
> As you can see, the proposal is quite simple...

I've pushed a change to master that (I hope) improves the situation:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=03dbe1a97c0050365ac3820575134bace0908e2b

[for cherry-picking purposes, probably easier to check the
non-whitespace changes version:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=03dbe1a97c0050365ac3820575134bace0908e2b&ignorews=1
]

With this patch, it looks like this:

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/vertical-toolbars-1.png

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/vertical-toolbars-2.png

Unfortunately it is not ideal; as you can see, the vertical toolbars
have no distinction between them and the workspace.  I think it is not
really a problem, just different to what we used to have, but needs
approval from you / UX list.

Your original proposal for comparison:

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/attachment/3992797/0/toolbars.png

I am doing some larger changes in master to make it more alike your
proposal, I am just a bit afraid they'll be too big for cherry-picking
to 3.6.x; unfortunately no easy win there :-(

Please let me know what do you prefer from the UX point of view:

1) status quo - 3.6 vertical / floating toolbars use the 'native'
   theming (inconsistent with the new 3.6 look)
2) half-way solution - my screenshots above; more consistent look, but
   no line splitting the vertical toolbars from the workspace
3) complete solution - will take some larger reviewing, as this touches
   look on all platforms; I'll see if I can find a brave reviewer :-)

Would be good to have a decision until the Monday's 3.6.1 RC1 freeze, so
that if we put it in, we are able to revert that in RC2, should it cause
trouble.

Regards,
Kendy