[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Windows start link on the desktop

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:22:59 PDT 2012

Hi Kendy,

> I'd like to ask you to reconsider the decision there ;-)

Sorry that you don't like the new default, though, if you look at my
comment #4 in the bug, you'll probably see that I noted that "views vary
wildly" on this issue...
Here's my opinion again: it is not a great idea, since you usually need
to know the administrator password (because the icon is installed once
in a "All Users" folder [1]) and because we should try to
respect/protect the desktop at the user's own space.
This is just my (maybe a bit personal) view of things – if you and
others differ, just decide otherwise. (Btw, is there a new bug about it?
or are you bringing it up just because noticed now?)

> Virtually
> every Windows program I recall defaults to creating the link on the
> desktop (while providing the user a possibility to uncheck it)

Firefox, to name one popular example, afaik doesn't (but it sets itself
as the default browser). But it's true, lots of Windows software does
it, even some where you'd ask yourself why you'd ever need that on your
desktop (Quicktime comes to my mind).

Astron.

[1] Correct me, if that's not the case for LibreOffice. I have not
checked.